Dust off your boats and start prepping for these upcoming, awesome RC scale boating events!
- May 19 – “Tug-O-War”
- Bring your tugs. We’ll measure their pulling power against a scale and have tugs pull each other across sight lines. We will also have a weighted barge pull.
- June 16-17 – “Mini Maker Faire”
- Argonauts will exhibit at the Antique Gas and Steam Museum in Vista, CA.
- All day Saturday and Sunday at one of the coolest museums you’ll ever visit!
- Facebook link to event
- June 23 – “Fun Run”
- This would replace our Regatta with an unjudged navigation course.
- Vote for best of show.
- 9:00am-3:00pm with the Sailing Division invited to sail the islands starting at noon
- Bring your own lunch.
- Silent auction.
- July 21 – “A Gray Day”
- Bring your battleships, submarines (even though they’re black), flat tops, cruisers, mine sweepers, tin cans, landing craft, and cargo ships for a set of scale runs like a point to point speed burst races for destroyers, a convoy, and a “round the pond” task force cruise. No sneak attacks allowed!
- August – Off the Pond
- Sept. 8 – “Steamer Day”
- Steamer Day and Boats, Kits, & Parts Swap.
- Oct. 27 – “Yacht Days and Pleasure Boats”
- Chris Craft, Minnows, Orcas, etc.
- Nov. 17 – “Working Boats”
- Fishing boats, fire boats, tugs, ferries, garbage scows, floating cranes, dry docks, etc.
- December 8-9 – “Pearl Harbor Remembrance Model Boat Run / Fleet Gathering”
- A run of 1:96 scale ships & boats at Santee Lakes. Argonauts with 1/96 scale ships are invited to run with the Task Force 96 group.
- December 8, 2018 — 9:00am – 4:00pm
- December 9, 2018 — 9:00am – 3:00pm
- More info: www.dec7modelboatrun.weebly.
- December 15 – “2018 Model Boat Parade of Lights”
- A magical evening run involving tiny boats and lots of little, beautiful lights.
Check out the San Diego Argonauts’ lighted remote controlled model boats! We’ll launch the Christmas season with our tiny Model Boat Parade of Lights at the San Diego Model Boat Pond.
Public is welcome. Bring a chair. Enjoy the little lights!
Model Boaters: If you have a scale model boat, start working on your lights. Be sure to bring a warm sweater, a hot beverage, and a great camera. This is going to be another beautiful event!
- Date: Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Time: 5:00pm – 7:00pm
- Location: San Diego Model Yacht Pond
- More info on Facebook
- Event flyer
In case you’re new to the mini Parade of Lights, here’s a video from January 2015:
And David Manley’s video from 2016:
Ideas for easy RC model boat lights.
Event Photos & Videos:
- When: Saturday, October 7 & Sunday, October 8, 2017.
- Location: Our booth will be in front of the awesome San Diego Model Railroad Museum
Members, get your RC models ready! Chat with Rob & Mark to learn more.
Makers, come check out these awesome RC boats, combat ships, and awesome hands-on activities!
For More Info on Maker Faire San Diego:
Clubs Represented at Our Booth:
Instructions for Volunteers:
We’ve been given a fantastic indoor space, right in front of the entrance to the Model Railroad Museum in Balboa Park. We will have access to the space for setting up, starting on Friday at 4:00 PM, and at 8:00 AM on Saturday, 9:00 AM on Sunday. We have parking, secure storage, power and restrooms, with a cafe just up the stairs above us. This will be a high-traffic area during the event, but with a perfectly-controllable, roped-in area along the busy thoroughfare. WE NEED BOATS AND SHIPS TO DISPLAY! You need not commit to the full weekend, or even a full day, but we need as many people and boats/submarines and ships as possible.
See photos below for an unloading map and a look at the space.
The Scale Boat Division of the San Diego Argonauts invites scale model boaters to our 2017 Scale Model RC Boat Regatta!
It’ll include a navigation course, raffle, and more! Static modelers are welcome to display their boats. The public is welcome to spectate too!
Bring your own sack lunch, table and chairs.
NAMBA INSURANCE REQUIRED: Anyone operating a boat or participating in the pit area must have proof of current NAMBA insurance.
Due to recent changes in the City of San Diego risk assessment regulations, we are now required to secure a general liability insurance policy that covers the City in the event anyone running a boat with a motor causes an accident. This requirement is a blanket requirement for any boat with a motor, no matter how slow or small. We have secured the best insurance available for this purpose through NAMBA International, but the insurance is only valid for NAMBA members who are involved in an accident, and we are required to follow NAMBA safety regulations in order for the insurance to be viable.
To comply with NAMBA safety regulations, we will rope off an area for launching, recovering, operating and judging boats entered into the navigation competition, which we will call the Pit Area. Anyone wishing to enter the Pit Area must have proof of current NAMBA membership, either Single Event Insurance (SEI) secured for this event, or a full membership for the year. NAMBA yearly membership ($50.00) may be obtained at www.namba.com, or you can purchase Single Event Insurance for the regatta for $15.00 at the event. We recognize that this poses an unexpected financial burden, but if we expect to continue enjoying this type of event at the San Diego Model Boat Pond, we really have no choice but to comply with the City’s requirements.
By the way, NAMBA insurance is primary insurance, which means it does not require that you first seek coverage for a claim via your own homeowner’s insurance policy. To read all of the benefits of NAMBA insurance, visit http://www.namba.com/content/insurance.asp
If you have any questions about this change, please feel free to chat with Rob Wood, Jeff Sparksworthy, or Mark Weber.
Jimmie Hawkins is selling a variety of scale ships & tugboats. All are ready to run. Contact him for more info: jimmie.hawkins48
Southampton tug: $200SOLD
- 1/72 Corvette: $400
Sub chaser: $800SOLD
Saito Chiba Star: $1000SOLD
Satio Neptune: $1000SOLD
Built my me, Pete Kruse It is ready to run Dual batteries with easy charge system Spektrum receiver included but no transmitter Has voltage regulator Sound system for diesel and horn All lights for position, search and deck Prop. shaft – lube. 45″ – 50 lbs 75 mm brass prop Asking $800. The boats located at my house in Irvine, CA.
It’s with a heavy heart that the Scale Boat Division of the San Diego Argonauts invites you to remember David Alvarez, our beloved Scale Vice Commodore.
- Date: May 6, 2017
- Time: 10:00am
- Location: San Diego Model Yacht Pond
Please bring a boat to run and a story to share about this incredible guy.
If you’d like to help plan the service, please meet at the Pond this Saturday morning, April 29th and talk with Mark Weber.